Palate Pulse: Let’s Talk Smoothies!
Do you like smoothies? I do! Smoothies are so versatile, and I declare that they are a delicious treat of mmm-mmm good! In this posting I’m sharing my favorite go-to avocado smoothie recipe. Maybe you’ll like it, maybe you will love it, or perhaps your palate will outright disapprove. Regardless dear reader, I’m still sharing it and wish you the best of health!
Known for their benefit of providing healthy nutrients and phytochemicals, the avocado is a gem in my kitchen. There are a variety of avocadoes available so use whichever type you prefer. I most often use organic ingredients but those are not a requirement! This recipe makes enough smoothie for two people so adjust as needed.
2 medium sized avocadoes, pitted
1 small banana, peeled
½ cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
½ cup orange juice (use extra as needed)
2 tbsp honey or agave nectar
2-3 tbsp dry oats (optional)
½ tsp of ground ginger (optional)
¼ tsp of ground cinnamon (optional)
Combine all ingredients in your blender, puree until mixed to the consistency of your liking, and enjoy immediately or chilled. Simple and delicious, you will have enough to share but you may not want to! The above is my basic recipe however I love to change it up a bit on occasion. Here’s how.
Variations and Substitutions:
* Add sliced apple, blueberries, raspberries, or any berry you love.
* Use fruit juice of your choice.
* Use vanilla flavored yogurt, or even vanilla ice-cream instead of plain yogurt. I suggest omitting the honey or nectar if using ice-cream or sweetened yogurt.
* Use fresh ginger.
* Add mint for a refreshing twist or simple garnish.
* For a more tropical flare, add pineapple, guava, or coconut milk.
* Pop your blended smoothie in the freezer until icy and enjoy as a frozen treat!